Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Spring in Maine



Enjoying a sunny April day at Two Lights one of my favorite state parks.  The waves were amazing that day!





We have had some wonderful spring days lately.  Days that remind me that spring is probably my favorite season.  (Even though those nice days have been alternated with some pretty cold rainy days and one of the latest snowfalls I recall in April!) I guess it makes the nice days sweeter.
Taking it easy on our last snowy day (hopefully!!) A rare peaceful moment

Silliness
 I do love summer in Maine, but since I left here and moved back ten years ago I think spring wins.  Since having children I notice spring in a new way, as I point things out to them I see the magic through their eyes.  I notice the wonder of daffodils and crocuses blooming and the grass becoming greener each day, and I think one the best days of the year is that first truly warm day, sometimes in March, sometimes April where you can just bask in the sun without feeling the slightest bit cold.  I love to say to Claire 'Hey!  Look over there! What's different?"  And she'll report to me that the grass is even greener than the last time we were thereIt's the best when she points all the spring changes out to me.   However the other main reason I enjoy spring so much with young kids is that it is such a needed relief from the burdens of winter. Dressing them, trying so hard to get them outside, and finding things to do inside.  Ugh.  I'm always so glad it's over, not that I hate winter while it's happening it does have its own beauty, but I realize there is definitely more ease when it's nice out.  For the first times in the last few weeks my kiddos have actually gone outside without me dressing them, or when arriving home they have lingered outside and played independently instead of following me in begging for snuggles, snacks, water, boots off, all while I need to drink water, eat something and take the baby out of the carseat.  Those small moments feel like bliss, like there is some more room for me to breathe.  Who knows, perhaps some of that feeling of ease has to do with the baby getting bigger and napping more regularly (and longer!), and getting more sleep at night, but I think it's spring.  I can't remember who, but last fall when Maria was a newborn someone told me they thought October was a great time to have a newborn - that it would be a long winter but it would be an amazing spring with a bouncing six month old, ready to get outside.  Whoever said that was right. Spring is magic.
Some more pics of Maria just 'cause I love that smile


I have been really inspired this year to identify more and more plants and friendly, wonderful weeds and make more herbal medicines.  Last year I identified St. John's Wort at our new house and I made infused oil and tincture which was so easy, and that really boosted my confidence and desire to learn more about herbal medicine.  I have been re-visiting my two favorite herbal books Healing Wise by Susun Weed and this book by a Maine herbalist Gail Faith Edwards.  What I love about Susun Weed is how much she encourages becoming allies with the many weeds surrounding us, such as dandelion, violet and chickweed and the amazing benefits they can offer while also being extremely safe and nourishing.  It makes sense to me that the safest herbs with the most to offer would be everywhere!  I also like knowing that the plants that I've grown up around, that many people consider nuisances can actually do incredible things as medicines.  I have been so excited this spring to see what comes up around us.
It was fun to recognize violet right outside our door!  Once I did I found it everywhere in our yard
I'd also like to check out this book by Robin Rose Bennett and a book by Holly Bellebuono, I enjoy her articles very much in Taproot magazine.  One humbling thing at this stage in my life is trying to be present with my kids and love them up and enjoy them, even as my thoughts are full of all of these beautiful, inspiring things I'd love to do.  I'm trying very hard to remind myself that any medicine made, even just one, is a big accomplishmentI will try to recognize my passion and excitement and pass this onto the kids and not get too caught up in the 'productivity' of it.  I do love being productive, so it's easier said than done.  Why make one jar of dandelion vinegar when I can make five?  I'm looking forward to watching something new bloom each weekAnd I'm hoping for a nice warm May. 

No comments:

Post a Comment