Thursday, April 11, 2013

Matching Deer Skirts



I can't believe that Amelia is 10 months old and this is the first time I have made something matching for the girls.  It's not that I'm against them wearing matching stuff, but so far I've felt like it just hasn't been my thing, in the same way the outfits I put them in (much to the dismay of my mother I think) are never really coordinated.  I just feel like an eclectic look of a skirt, pants, rain boots and a shirt and knit vest, or mismatched handmades together just looks so cute in a way that only a little kid can pull off.   Or maybe that second reason just gives me an excuse to maximize their wear of handmade clothes.  Mainly I think I don't do it because one of my favorite parts of sewing is finding and using new fabric, and once I've sewn with a fabric it doesn't excite me to make the same pattern again, let alone in the same fabric.  Case in point:  I just sewed like a crazy person to finish a new Oliver + S Ice Cream Dress in some adorable new Lotta Jansdotter fabric that I can't wait to share, and through a fabric cutting accident, I now already have matching fabric pattern pieces all cut out and ready to go on a top for Amelia and I am dragging my feet, ready to be onto the next thing.  I promise, I won't cheat her out of it, she deserves that adorableness too.

But who could argue with matching skirts once I figured out I had just enough extra deer fabric leftover for Amelia, especially using Dana's Simple Skirt pattern?  So easy, that pattern whips up easily in under an hour, I even sewed some with Claire in my lap, and Amelia on the floor!  I bought this fabric at ZFabrics earlier this winter for Claire, as she absolutely loves deer, and it wasn't hideous so it was something that I would actually enjoy sewing.  As the pictures prove, matching homemade clothes are pretty cute, I may be guilty of it again in the future.  I'll just be sure to stay with the mismatched shirts and accessories.











No comments:

Post a Comment