Monday, April 15, 2013

Project Simplify 2013

I have really been feeling the itch for spring cleaning since, I don't know, February?  So I was excited to see Project Simplify on SimpleMom and figured I would give it a go.  What I love about her is the no pressure, do as much or as little as you want attitude. Somehow that makes it seem so more manageable.... if I can tackle one shelf, one closet I will feel accomplished rather than give myself the lofty and impossible goal of tackling the whole house. 
So, this week I started small and easy with this large bookshelf.  The before is on the left, the after on the right.  It stands in our living area, next to the front door so it's definitely a main part of our house.  It holds cookbooks and I have slowly been converting the lower half of it to hold art supplies for Claire.  However, the bookshelf is overstacked and unorganized, the middle shelf has become a catch all for everything we pick up off the floor but aren't sure where to put, and Claire's art stuff consists full of broken crayons and stacks of drawings.  Clearing this off has been important to me lately because I really want to create easily accessible art supplies for Claire to inspire creativity and allow her to create art without being prompted by me.  And I just made it in under the wire, as the second week of Project Simplify starts tomorrow!  I just barely managed to do this today while the girls were napping, while also cleaning up after lunch and the morningAfter working all weekend and working again tomorrow this was just about all I could handleBut seriously, I really do feel a sense of satisfaction, even for such a small project!  This success gets me motivated to start on this weeks task of closets and boy do I have one nasty hall closet to tackle!  
Update: As you can see, the playdough and tools are all by themselves, easily accessible on the bottom shelf and I did notice that Claire played independently yesterday after her nap with the play dough for the longest time probably ever.  She spent over an hour with her farm animals and play dough, covering them in playdough, putting them to sleep in play dough, you name it.  It was really cute, and hopefully inspired by an uncluttered art area!  
Project Simplify on Simple Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment