Saturday, April 20, 2013

Wiksten Tank

This is only my third year sewing, so I'm so excited to finally take part in the Spring Top Sewalong hosted by Rae!  Two years ago I was a beginner and was sewing my first pair of Quick Change Trousers and barely keeping a straight line....  and last year I was eight months pregnant and dreaming of someday making cute tops for myself.  And that day has finally come!   (Although there are definitely some adorable maternity tops in the Flickr pool)  I've been going slow making clothes for myself, I started two years ago with the Amy Butler Barcelona Skirt, and this winter I made myself two of Meg's Schoolhouse Tunics, which I have yet to share here.  So, I have had my eye on the Wiksten tank since I've been seeing it all over blogland and it looked comfortable and easy.  I haven't made myself anything yet where fit has been too much of an issue (as in bust darts, which seem so scary to me...why?)  This has been just fine as I am nursing Amelia and waiting to drop a final few pounds post baby weight, so flowy, comfy garments have been just peachy and this tank seemed to have all that.

I have to say, I love wearing it, it feels so soft but I didn't so much love sewing it.  Well, it's not that I didn't enjoy it, it's just that I thought it would sew up quicker than it did.  Ahhh expectations, I really should just learn not to have any, right?   The bias binding came out great, but was a little fussier to attach to the neckline than I expected, at least to get it to look nice.   I chose a really soft, light purple/grey shot cotton, and I also bought some voile but I made the first round in the (cheaper) shot cotton to be sure of fit.  This whole nursing thing messes up all my measurements, the same thing happened with the Schoolhouse Tunic where my bust measurements said to make a large, but I had to take it in so much everywhere else I think I will just make the medium the second go-round.  So, obviously figuring that fit issue out adds to the sewing time, but I learned some lessons here and that is always important.  Taking the time (not rushing!) to figure out fit is key, spending time on a garment only to have it fit as well as something you bought for $10 bucks at Target is not going to make me happy.  This is probably not news to anybody but me.   I also learned that with a simple color, and solid fabric, having nice looking seams and neckline is really important, because they show!  You can't hide your wonky hem stitching in a bright print. 


So, maybe the second one in voile will take me less time, or maybe I will take these lessons to heart, that the enjoyment of sewing should be in the process and not just in a quickly finished garment.  Or, I should expect to save the quick results and rushed hemming for things like kid jammies.  Looks like this second voile Wiksten will have to wait though, I just realized next week is Kids Clothes Week!  Because more self-imposed deadlines are just what I need to apply the above lessons, right?  It seems time to finally make a Geranium!

No comments:

Post a Comment