Monday, April 7, 2014

Kids Clothes Week

I have seen Kids Clothes Week online for a couple of years now and for the last year I have actually wanted to participate, and I am finally doing it this week!  The challenge is to sew one hour a day for a week for your kids.  It actually came at a perfect time because I have been buying a ton of fabric lately and my brain is swimming in inspiration, I find myself daydreaming and making virtual checklists of what I could sew, with what fabric, and when.  I tried so hard to finish a Washi dress I'm working on for myself this past weekend knowing I was going to be focusing on the kids this week, but with time management and all, I am trying to 'know when to quit'.  As in, 'I could finish this dress while Amelia is taking an extra long nap on a Sunday and it would be satisfying, but future me tonight will be super overwhelmed and irritable that there is no dinner plan and the house is a mess'.  I do better some days than others quitting appropriately (or not sewing at all) - when Greg was out Friday night I fell asleep at 8:30 with the kids, and literally dragged myself out of bed (and a good night's sleep) to sew the Washi and watch Call the Midwife on the laptop.  (It's my first time sewing with this rayon challis)! This surge of sewing frenzy happened to me last spring as well, I'm sensing a pattern.  I cranked out projects in March and April before burning out and I didn't sew much all summer.

For Kids Clothes Week I started on an Ice Cream Dress for Claire, this is also the third spring I have done a lot with this pattern, I blogged about another one here.  It got me thinking while I sewed for my one hour this afternoon how I was really only glancing at the instructions for a reminder, and I was brought back to the first one I sewed two years ago, and how long it took me, and all the seams I ripped out and did again.  It's fun to think about how much I've improved, and like so many other people who sew, I really have learned how to sew from my Oliver and S patterns.  I grabbed some photos of the work in progress, Claire is excited for her 'sheep' dress and I'm excited to finish it this week!  I'm thinking to stay with the spirit I'll try to sew during naptime and after bedtime one or two nights this week, because to be perfectly honest I think there are a couple days there is NO way I will get sewing in.  (Perhaps this Friday when I work at 12 hour shift a 3 pm??)


  1.  I'm happy with the progress in 1+ hour!  I sewed both pockets and got the pockets sewn on the front of the dress!
 Claire was excited about the pockets - She said 'They're so clean inside, there's no dirt!' What a compliment.  Claire's wearing the first Geranium I made last year.
 We 'opened' up the sandbox today!  I couldn't get the tarp all the way off, some was still frozen on!  But we did enjoy the sun and 50 degree weather for a bit!  Spring is here!



kid's clothes week

No comments:

Post a Comment